Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Journey Begins

Well training is over, and we go to our assigned destination tomorrow! It's only been 3 days and I've learned so much. They've been bringing in speakers to talk about different subjects such as sharing your faith, ministry evangelism, working with children and youth, ect. All of it has been helpful to me in some way. I finally feel like I am equipped for the summer. Not because of what I've learned from the speakers, but because of the peace I feel to know that God has brought me here, and He won't leave me to fend for myself. I'm simply joining something that God is already working in, so I know He has great plans for this ministry this summer, and I feel humbled and honored that He would allow me to participate in His work. I've also met some amazing people that will be working as student missionaries in other areas around the state and some even traveling over several states. Being in a new community of believers that have SUCH a fire for God's work is not only refreshing but so exciting! Being in this kind of atmosphere alone has caused me to seek God even more and rejoice in who He is.

The first night we were here, some of the leaders were giving us an orientation speech. One verse that we looked at was 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 which says:
"For although I am free from all people, I have made myself a slave to all, in order to win more people. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win Jews; to those under the law, like one under the law—though I myself am not under the law —to win those under the law. To those who are outside the law, like one outside the law—not being outside God's law, but under the law of Christ—to win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, in order to win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I may by all means save some. Now I do all this because of the gospel, that I may become a partner in its benefits."
This summer, I want to become a servant to all, meet people where they are, adapt, be intentional, and love above all else. That doesn't sound like an easy task at all, but I have no doubt that through the power of the Holy Spirit I will be able to be exactly what I need to be to accomplish God's will. It's funny hearing myself say that because I feel like it's been a long time since I've had this kind of confidence in who I am in Christ. I thank God for not ever giving up on me, and for how He will continue to work in my life even when I try to run from Him.

I read something in Proverbs yesterday that caught my attention. In Proverbs 24:16 it says "Though a righteous man falls seven times, he will get up, but the wicked will stumble into ruin." I believe this verse emphasizes the fact that through God's grace and mercy and repentence the righteous man can get back up and keep going on to better things even when He falls while the wicked man will go down the path of destruction. This in itself was an encouragement to me because one thing I've been struggling with is accepting God's love and mercy when I fall. I know it's there and I know it's unconditional, but I don't see myself worthy of it and therefore don't forgive myself in a way. THIS IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS! God desires me. He doesn't need me, but He does desire my love. He will stop at nothing to pursue me or do what's best for me. In not forgiving myself or accepting His love, I'm trying to play god in my life. I just want to let God be God in me. How will others know the vastness and depths of His love if I don't let it do it's work in my life?

Please pray for me as I'm entering my assignment for the summer that God will continue to show me exactly what His love is, and that it will be evident in my life how much He loves people. Also, a huge thing that you can be praying for is how God is going to use this summer to direct my life. I believe this won't just be a time of growth and maturing, but also I believe that God wants to reveal some plans that He has for me in the future. I hope that He will give me some direction as I'm doing what He has given me a passion for. I've already begun getting that funny feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear people talking about all this missions and church planting stuff. I have such a desire to live this life full time, and I would like for you to join me as I pray for direction in how God is going to further that desire.

I love you all and thank you so much for all your prayers and support!! :)

P.S. If you would like to send words of encouragement or anything else this will be my address for the summer:
4602 East Willow Court
Wichita, KS 67220

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love the thoughts and scriptures you've shared here...and actually, looking at what you shared about how you feel about falling...head back a few of my blog posts to the video titled "We Fall Down" I think it fits perfectly :D *hug*

    ReplyDelete